Our innovative computer science degree is specifically designed to meet the growing needs of the creative industries. If you love coding and have a passion for technology, our course is the perfect route into a professional career.
Based in a brand new campus in central London and delivered by tech industry leaders, our degree focusses on collaborative project work inspired by the latest start-ups in technology.
As part of a solid grounding in computer science, you’ll be immersed in the latest programming and design concepts. However, unlike at traditional universities, our course is delivered in a highly creative environment which equips you with the teamwork skills and project experience needed to get a head-start in today’s fast moving businesses.
“I think everyone should learn how to program a computer, because it teaches you how to think.” – Steve Jobs (1995)
As a student on our Digital Product Development degree course you will work with professional developers and product designers to build a strong foundation in product design and software development, whilst collaborating with peers from across the college on imaginative and inspiring joint projects.
Year 1: 4 modules – all compulsory
Year 2: 6 modules – 2 compulsory and 4 optional
Year 3: 3 modules – all optional
The programme has been developed through four subject strands:
- Digital Design and User Experience (DDUX)
- Rich Interactions and Mobile Applications (RIMA)
- Platform Engineering (PE)
As a first year student you will quickly gain a solid and practical grounding, learning about the key aspects of programming, modern product and software development, development tools and digital design.
- Foundations of Programming
- Principles of Digital Business, Design and User Experience
- Introduction to Data and Databases
- Web Application Development
In year two you will continue to develop programming skills and study professional skills relevant to your industry.
- Programming 2
- Professional Skills in Digital Product Development
- Software development as a profession
- Fundamentals of system security
- Understanding data
- Authoring and communication skills
In years two and three you will be able to customise your course. Choosing from a range of optional modules, you can specialise in digital design and user experience (DDUX), developing rich interactions and mobile applications (RIMA) or platform engineering (PE). There are also opportunities to explore other new topics.
- User Needs to User Experiences
- Advanced Concepts in Design
- Advanced Topics in Design and User Experience
- Mobile Application Development – iOS /Android
- Rich Web Application Development
- Advanced Topics in Application Development
- Advanced Database Design & Implementation
- Systems for the Web and Cloud
- Advanced Topics in Systems and Architecture
- Advanced Topics in Programming
- Programming in Performance
- Creative Industry Entrepreneurship
- Industry-leading professional tutors embed current concepts and expertise in your learning
- Unique opportunities to collaborate on cutting edge digital projects simulating real-world business experiences
- Group assignments and project based assessments take the place of exams
- Customise your course through your choice of optional modules
- Establish networks and creative startups with musicians, writers and other creative individuals
- Make professional contacts through our guest speakers, workshops and masterclasses
- One to one support and small class sizes
- Study in the heart of London in a brand new campus
As an LCCM digital student, you will benefit from exciting opportunities both within the programme and beyond. This will include guest lectures from leading experts in the field and unique masterclass events across the college.
Work placements with leading new model companies and organisations will also be available, linking student practice directly to industry.
94% of tech employers say the technology industry is facing a skills shortage.
That’s why our course is tailored towards practical project work; as a digital degree student you will quickly adopt the tools, techniques and practices used by the most successful product and technology teams today, giving you a head-start in your career.
On graduation you will be well-prepared to take an active role in startups and other fast-moving product businesses in the creative industries and beyond.
- Web developer
- Mobile app developer
- Full-stack software developer
- Product tester
- Data analyst
- Product manager
- Product designer
- User experience designer
Students interested in postgraduate study have the option to progress onto our MA in Creative Entrepreneurship. This programme offers a unique opportunity for digital graduates to further develop and bring to market more advanced business projects.
As a digital degree student at LCCM you will be taught by David Harvey and a team of specialist industry-based professionals.
The Digital Product Development degree course has been designed with student led, experimental learning at its heart.
- Tutors will introduce new ideas and concepts
- Students will work in pairs and small groups on a mixture of short challenges and larger projects reflecting industry practice
- The majority of assessments will be group projects where you will solve authentic business problems in the digital environment