Do you want to establish a career in the music industry as a business-astute artist or executive? Designed and delivered by major label professionals, our music business degree course will help you develop the knowledge, skills and fresh thinking increasingly in demand across the modern music industry. Whether you want to work in artist management, A&R or the live industries, our course will give you access to the industry networks you need.
We’re extremely excited to announce Dave Wibberley as our programme leader for Music Industry Management from August 1st 2017. Read our full announcement here.
This course has limited clearing places available.
Year 1: 7 modules – 5 compulsory and 5 optional
Year 2: 4/6 modules – 1 compulsory and 3/5 optional
Year 3: 3 modules – 2 compulsory and 1 optional
You will learn to navigate a constantly evolving backdrop of business models, revenue streams and expectations to engage directly with brands and fans.
- The History of Popular Music
- Music Industry News
- The Music Industry Landscape
- Essential Study Skills and Basic Business Principles
- Music and the Digital Economy
- Music Publishing
- Working with Music Artists (Management & Development)
- Music Industry Analytics and Insight
As one of our music industry management degree students, you can customise your course to suit your personal interests and ambitions.
- Music Industry Practical Group Project
- Music Industry Language and Technology
- Social Media and its Impact on the Music Industry
- Live Music Industry
- Recording Companies
- Independent Project
- Creative Industries and Entrepreneurship
In years one two and three, you also have the option to study a selection of modules from the Music programme:
- Second study instrument (Year 1 & 2)
- Music Programming(Year 1 & 2)
- Songwriting (Year 1, 2 & 3)
- Audio Visual Synchronisation (Year 3 following successful completion of Music Programming 1 & 2)
A minimum of 2 A-level passes or the equivalent however typical offers tend to be higher. Complete information is is available here on our entry criteria.
- Personal, friendly environment
- Course you can customise
- Industry-leading professional tutors
- One to one support
- Small class sizes
- Study in the heart of creative London
- Superb facilities and resources
- Unique opportunities to collaborate with other music, writing, digital and entrepreneurship students on cutting edge projects and creative startups
- Lifelong friends and professional contacts
You will develop the knowledge, cultural understanding and practical skills needed to be a successful executive at a major record label, music publishing or live events company. You will also have the contacts, confidence and problem solving skills needed to start your own business or make more money from releasing your own music.
Based in the heart of one of the world’s leading music business cities, you tutors are academically qualified, high level music industry executives who in addition to their teaching, are still active in the music business. They have played a significant role in the success of many established artists at companies like SonyBMG, Jive Records, Virgin Group, Beggars Banquet and Chrysalis Music.
See and hear more about what to expect on our Management in Music degree in the video below.