Harmony and Rhythm
January, April & October 2019
Apply directly to us
This module offered at level 6 is very practical and rather than sit endless harmony exams, students are asked to produce and present two arrangements. This is done in a 1-1 interview, with each arrangement being based around a specific rhythmic or harmonic element.
Aims of the module
This module aims to enable students to articulate complex music principles accurately and prepare them for professional work as musicians.
Pre-requisites for taking the module
- A knowledge of cut-time and basic understanding of the clave
- A good understanding of the harmony for Major and minor 2-5-1’s
- To be able to create functional walking bass lines
- To able to create 5 part closed extended chord voicings
- The ability to write open extended chord voicings, with split guide-tones and extensions
- Functional keyboard skills