January, April & October 2019
Apply directly to us
This is an advanced module offered at level 6 only, which takes students right to the edge of western harmony. Yet like all LCCM modules it is still practical and an arrangement has to be produced.
Aims of the module
Building on the knowledge gained in Harmony and Rhythm 2, this module aims to extend students’ knowledge of advanced approaches to the reharmonisation of American Songbook repertoire through the analysis of extant works. This module will deepen students’ understanding of reharmonisation in contemporary Jazz and prepare them for relevant professional work or postgraduate study.
Pre-requisites for taking the module
- A good knowledge of Major and minor harmony, along with the ability to voice extended chords in open and closed position.
- Some standard re-harm techniques, such as tri-tone substitution and secondary dominants
- A good working knowledge of chord scale options, for Major and Melodic minor scales.
- A good understanding of the harmony for Major and minor 2-5-1’s and the variations
- A Knowledge of Jazz turnarounds
- Functional keyboard skills