Musical Directing and Arranging
Full time (Level 6):
Piano & Voice: £2,700
Termly (Level 6)
Piano & Voice: £550
Rock & Pop or Choir: £550
Big Band or Orchestral: £550
January, April & October 2019
Apply directly to us
This level 6 module covers every possible musical scenario, with all your arrangements being played by live musicians. Whether conducting and arranging a string quartet, working with a big band or arranging for a rock band, this module teaches students both arranging and practical people skills.
Aims of the module
Through the practice of arranging for and directing a wide variety of ensembles, this module aims to help students develop versatility in stylistic arrangement, musical ideas and vocabulary, and achieve a highly advanced understanding of instrumentation and musical language
Pre-requisites for taking the module
- A good prior–knowledge of instrumental ranges, for example horns, strings.
- The ability to write functional parts for rhythm sections.
- The harmonic skills required to be able to write for a number of different line-ups, for example a good knowledge of Major and minor harmony is needed along with the ability to voice extended chords in open and closed position.
- Good inter-personal skills, as unlike some of the Composition modules students will be directing all of the external musicians.
- To have a good understanding of well-established techniques and approaches for musical arrangement.
- Functional keyboard skills